Monday, October 11, 2010

Hidden Ingredients



MY NEW PROJECT:
            I did not like my original blog project so I thought of a different topic. My new topic will be based on food recalls and how bad food is effecting people in the United States. I will be finding my information from the past five or ten recent years and post my findings on my blog one a week. I will write about how and why these things happened in certain places and where the food that was recalled came from. The themes of my project are food and health and the morality of big food companies. What I hope to learn about are the foods that I should be eating less of and why these foods make people sick. I already know that these problems are the companies fault but I hope to further learn how they can avoid these problems.

MY OLD PROJECT:
             My weekly blog for class will be based on a research project of how many of our foods contain high fructose corn syrup, soy bean, and modified ingredients. Every few days I will look at one supermarket item in my refrigerator and look at the ingredients they contain. I will keep my eye on the foods that contain one or more of the three ingredients and report on what supermarket food I examined. Most of the foods we thought would never contain these ingredients probably do because of all the many different forms corn can be morphed into.
Our class has recently watched a movie called “Food Inc.”, and in the movie it mentioned that the supermarket is basically fooling us. All the foods that we think are so different from each other are actually very similar because they contain at least one out of those three ingredients. Corn and soy beans have recently been modified for mass production and used for many things. This includes feeding cows, pigs, chickens and even fish corn because it is so cheap. Corn has become revolutionized in America. 
            The themes of my project are basically food and health. What I hope to learn from this project is about my food and exactly what is in it. We are fooled by all these big companies that we think produce all this diverse and good tasting food, but we are really just eating the same thing over and over and not receiving the right nutritional values . The kinds of thoughts I hope to inspire my readers with are to also do the same thing that I am doing for my project. I am hoping that they will do investigating in what they eat too like checking labels and researching certain companies and how they produce their food. It will be very educational to myself and all of my readers and knowledge is power. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello Constance Haridimos lol.
    Ive noticed that you decided to to change you idea for your project and your weekly blog. Honestly either one you really decide to do at the end i know you will find very interesting fact that will be useful to us. I think that you can kind of connect both of your ideas for example you want to look for food and health and the morality of big food companies you can do it on the product that contain high fructose corn syrup, soy bean, and modified ingredients. well i dont know if you understand what im trying to say but ill keep updateing. have fun and i do like your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I like your blog because it interested me. Either your previous idea or your newest, they both sound good. I saw the movie too and I think it relates to your new topic too because bad food is not something new. I think you can really expand on this project since its a problem being faced throughout the world. I also like how you planned out what your going to do, keeping me the reader updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoleine:
    Thank you for believeing in my ability to make either topic interesting. I agree with you when you said that I can connect both ideas into one because finding unhealthy foods that we didn't know about and researching the effects it had on some people go hand in hand.

    Katherine:
    I agree with you for saying that I should expand my topic because it is a common problem. But, I'm also trying to inform my readers about what can happen to them if they continue to follow there bad food habits. If they did know about all the things I'm going to write about, I think they'll change there ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good! I am also looking foward to this too, keep up the research!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any time Constance. Im glad you agree i think its a good idea. I mean play around with it and see how it turns out. You might find out something you wasnt looking for.

    Katherine: i will be vidting your page because you have me thinking about what your doing your topic on and why you have to expand it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine:
    I can't wait to do the research for my topic! I'm really interested in what exactly I can find especially on food recalls and statistics of which companies had the most recalls in the most most recent time.

    Yoleine:
    Yay! Yes, I probably will find many things that I probably wasn't looking for.

    ReplyDelete