Friday, September 24, 2010

Cafeteria Food

                Hello to whoever is reading this. The other day at school, I visited the school cafeteria during my break. When I got there, I was expecting something totally different than what I had found out. I thought that there would be fresh and healthy food, or at least somewhat, but I discovered the total opposite. There wasn't a large variety of options but there was basically all fried foods and a small area for salads. I try to eat as little fried food as possible because its so fattening. So, I instinctively went toward the salad bar.
                The vegetables looked really dry and old and looked like they were very low quality. It wasn't the most pleasing sight at lunch time. There was a choice between grilled and crispy chicken and I asked for grilled because its obviously healthier and more nutritious. They said they were out of grilled chicken which means its pre-cooked which is gross. How hard is it to take a chicken cutlet and either fry or grill it? This makes me wonder about other food habits all fast food restaurants follow.  So, I ended up getting a turkey wrap. It was really bland in flavor and didn't impress me at all. The lettuce and tomato tasted old and it reminded me of middle school and high school cafeteria food. I ended up throwing half of it out. I definitely won't be visiting the school cafeteria anytime soon again.
                The vending machines in school are really bad. They are filled with fattening chips, cookies, carbohydrate filled granola bars (which some people think they are healthy) and soda and other sugary and salty drinks. Why can't these school provide something healthier and more nutritious? People are aware of the health hazards of school food, and some schools have tried to change there bad habits. Serving and selling all this unhealthy food adds to the amount of kids that don't eat the proper food to energize and concentrate throughout the day.
               Therefore, I believe schools should change the food the serve to the future of America because by them serving this food, they are hurting our bodies for the future. Only then will people realize the mistakes they've made throughout their lives with their poor diet habits and there is no going back after that.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Tina, Laguardia is a big community college and they should focus on it`s cafeteria also. Everyday day during lunch hour it`s a hurdle for me also to think what to eat here, and beliive me i did`nt even try their food, by it looks it easily defines how old and greasy it is. So i mostly don`t end up eating wait til i go home. But today i walked till 40th street and saw a chinese take out restaurant.I waited their while they prepare my food and i can see them making it fresh which felt good and was easy to eat. I order "Egg foo yong" with white rice and "egg drop soup"(i love egg ;)) so there was no way they gonna serve me old food then the cafeteria. If u like chinese food try them its called "Great dragon".

    ReplyDelete